Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 9 of 180

This morning the girls and I went to clean the VFW post. I really like them coming with me doing this because it teaches responsibility and how to earn money. So far the purchases we've gotten with their money has been mostly driven by me as I am trying to get them on the right track as far as purchaing things that are "Educational".  We have gotten and ant farm, Multiplication rock, binoculars (bird watching) and a compass.  I think we might make milk carton birdfeeders to hand to help our chances of bird watching.
Anywho, I have been using their writing assignments to tach them spelling as well, but I think we need a bit extra focus on reading and spelling so I started the day by asking them what they wanted their spelling words to be. They came up with 12 words; crazy, New York, Tennessee, weird, bottle, baby, funny, alligator, curtain, horse, painting and animals.  They will write those words today and get familiar with them. We may try making a picture out of them or a game with the letters tomorrow. 
Riley is a beginner reader and I am working with her on getting better so she will have more freedom as to what activities she does. We read for 30 minutes out of Barbie Thumbelina, which totaled to 5 pages. She had trouble with some of the simpler words so I had her practice them separately. ( they, are, all, live, three, out, their, truck)
While we were doing this Lilly was working on regrouping addition and subtraction and writing her spelling words. I also gave her a couple sheets for syllabels. It's a new concept so I will sit with her in a bit to make sure she understands.
Both girls seemed a bit burned out from the sit down work so I loaded a www.coolmath-games.com and the girls played feedfribit addition for about 30 minutes. This was REALLY simple math like 0+) etc. yet, every level they advanced a new number was introduced. Lilly was able to get up to level 19 before she got tired and Riley got to level 5 because she had a hard time comprhending the idea of   0 + __= 1. the blank really threw her off.lol  She did her best though. I am not really counting that for math as it was more learning computer skills since their math skills are a bit more advanced.
 Okay Lilly is in complete understanding of syllables now and Riley worked on pattern recognition. They finnished the day with writing the remainder of their spelling words and reading a couple more pages of "America The Making of a Nation". This book is Awesome. I thought it was dry at first because the girls only like a couple pages at a time, but when Lilly came to me and told me about the Liberty Bell later the next day, I was sold!


The girls homework for tonight is reading. Lilly has to read the first 16 pages of "Frog and Toad Together" by Arnold Lobel and Riley "It's a Group" by Bruce Larkin. they can practice it separately but must read it outloud to an adult before the end of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment