Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 8 of 180

I spent some time this morning trying to find local homeschool groups that we might be able to arrange some get together with. So far nothing has come of my efforts, but I will keep trying.
We started around 10:30 (kind of late) by reading and discussing "America The Making of a Nation" by Charlie Samuels. While this book is VERY informative, both girls had the glazed over, wanna take a nap look, by the third page.


Since it was near lunchtime we gathered a quick picnic of peanut butter and honey sandwiches, juice, and bananas and headed to the playhouse.

 After our picnic we walked the yard looking for interesting plants and trees, gathered leaves and brought them inside to identify with "An Instant Guide to Trees" and "An Instant Guide to Wildflowers" by Eleanor Lawrence and Cecilia Fitzsimons.  I had the girls glue the plants to paper and search through the books to try and identify them, then I labeled them. We are create a field journal of our own with the specimens we locate!










We got a good start to our field journal. we found and identified yellow poplar, Dandelion, clover and a couple more I can't remember off the top of my head. After a play break and some study time for me I wanted the girls to squeeze in their writing and math assignments for the day. Lately I have been testing the waters with the girls on their math skills and they seem to be doing really well. Today, though has been a long day, so I figure we will do a bit of review. Riley had to do subtraction- no regrouping yet some 2 digit. Lilly 2 digit regrouping addition.  Then for writing they had to write "The Declaration of Independence was signed July 4th 1776" and "There are 50 stars on the U.S. flag." It's been a busy day for us all so I am proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment